Visual Arts Press Blog

The all knowing, ever present VAP knowledge base

Hiring Interns For VAP

without comments

Human Resources must approve all interns before they can officially start. Submit all completed paperwork to Chrystal LaQua in HR via email.
(All this info is also available on MySVA > Human Resources > Supervisor’s Toolkit > Hiring Student Workers)


  • Freshmen and Sophomores – $8/hour
  • Juniors and Seniors – $9/hour
  • Graduate students – $10/hour


Forms can be found on HR’s MySVA page.

VAP to complete:

  1. Federal Work Study Employer Authorization Form
  2. Human Resources Action Form
  3. Student Worker Checklist

Student to complete:

  1. Confidential Employee Information
  2. W-4
  3. Student Employee F.I.C.A. Exemption Certificate
  4. I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
    1. Please note:  one document from List A OR one document from List B AND List C
  5. Direct Deposit (Optional, but encouraged)
  6. Labor Law Section 195(1) (HR to provide after all other paperwork is approved)
    1. This form must be completed for all new student workers and those changing wage rates, in order to comply with current state law


  • International students must provide a copy of their I-20 form
  • International students must provide a Social Security card
    •  Per HR – students may not begin working until they receive the Social Security card
  • Those without a Social Security card must apply for it through the Social Security Administration
    • The International Student Office will assist students with this process
    • It takes an average of 2-3 weeks for the card to be issued
    • Employers must complete a support letter


Interns should submit their timesheets no later than end of day Mondays for the previous week of work

Download Timesheet

Written by print

May 24th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Posted in

Leave a Reply